Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Income support, JSA and tax credits  →  Thread

Tax credits refuse to remove taxable income as PAYE says they had earnings but they didn’t

LF
forum member

New Gorbals Housing Association

Send message

Total Posts: 59

Tax Credits refused to accept annual declaration that wife had no earnings, they inserted PAYE information.
We contacted said employer who agreed they did not work for them and provided proof.  We sent to Tax Credits who state they have no jurisdiction to amend PAYE information.  They advised employer to sort out,  however when they called advised data protection issues and nothing they could do.
We called Personal Tax Team at HMRC who advised they can see person didn’t work and they instigated investigation but no outcome yet.
Has anyone else come across this and any suggestions how to deal with it?

LITRG
forum member

Low Incomes Tax Reform Group

Send message

Total Posts: 107

I read about a similar case today.

I think an appeal is the right course of action here to correct the income figure.

Tax credits probably can’t directly change information on the RTI feed, but they don’t have to take it into account - especially when the claimant has provided evidence that it is incorrect.

Hopefully the appeal time limit is still on your side.

I would be happy to raise this as an issue via the Benefits and Credits Consultation group if you want to email me details as we recently had a RTI sub-group where I raised concerns about what people can do in these cases and we were assured that if people provided evidence then they would override the RTI data so if that isn’t happening then an examples would be helpful. My email is .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Victoria