Send message

Total Posts: 3777

ClairemHodgson
forum member

Solicitor, SC Law, Harrow

Send message

Total Posts: 1221

yes i read that.

i thought it was ridiculous that the calls are time targeted.  i don’t see how that’s a reasonable way of proceeding when people’s circumstances are so different.  particularly where, as the person said, it’s impossible….

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3211

Every helpline I know has target times for dealing with calls, it’s a pretty standard way of trying to manage call volumes, but it shouldn’t be something that is strictly adhered to as such, precisely because each call requires whatever extent of interaction is necessary to resolve that enquiry. It sounds like soul-destroying work from that article.

CDV Adviser
forum member

Nestor Financial Group Ltd

Send message

Total Posts: 493

Every job within JCP is soul-destroying. I worked in a local Jobcentre for 3 years and it was the most appalling job you could imagine. Targets for everything without any care for the vulnerability of claimants. I also worked in one the DWP’s contact centres and I could see how it affected staff daily. Having call time targets enables the government to keep staffing levels down.

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3128

And from the same series of articles, an LA benefits officer whose time is being eaten up by unreasonable landlords:

https://www.theguardian.com/public-leaders-network/2016/sep/03/council-housing-benefits-landlord-dwp-rent

stevenmcavoy
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Enable Scotland

Send message

Total Posts: 871

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK - 22 August 2016 10:36 AM

Every helpline I know has target times for dealing with calls, it’s a pretty standard way of trying to manage call volumes, but it shouldn’t be something that is strictly adhered to as such, precisely because each call requires whatever extent of interaction is necessary to resolve that enquiry. It sounds like soul-destroying work from that article.

i think trying to set a time scale for a welfare rights advice line would be a near impossible task.