to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

Volunteering while on ESA

LauraE
forum member

Welfare Benefits Team, Bassetlaw Citizens Advice Bureau

Send message

Total Posts: 10

Has anyone heard of a client who is volunteering being asked to fill in a Permitted Work 1 form? As i understand it, and having looked at the form, volunteering would be inapprorpriate to be put down on the form as it is not paid work, and is therefore not permitted work. What is the procedure for recording volunteering with ESA?

forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

My guess is that client contacted DWP to notify them that she was volunteering and someone misundersood/got the wrong end of the stick. I’d be tempted to complete it but just get the agency she is volunteering for to complete their part of the form to stress the work is voluntary only (though sometimes volunteers get expenses covered, etc). Th only thing I can think of is that the DWP want to be satisfied that the voluntary work is not work that would usually be paid work (have had a few clients fall foul of that over the years).

I usually advise clients to notify DWP if they’re intending to take up voluntary work just to get around the danger of Mr X from up the road ringing the fraudline and insinuating client is working. If GP or whoever can provide something to the effct that they consider it is a good idea/will facilitate the client’s recovery all the better, but as far as I am aware there is no compulsion to report unpaid work.