Numbers offered access to new PIP online claims process

1 2 > 

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 3776

DWP response to an FOI request that asked:

I understand that DWP is running a trial to allow some applicants to apply for PIP on-line. Could you please confirm the number of applicants that this method has been offered to over the time period that the trial has been running / per month / per area of UK? Could you also confirm when the trial will expand to cover 100 % of applicants throughout the UK?

Response: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/813453/response/1936912/attach/3/Response%20FOI2021%2099205.pdf

[ Edited: 17 Dec 2021 at 04:51 pm by shawn mach ]
Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

My understanding was that there’s an actual upper limit of 1,000 because they don’t think the numbers would exceed that.

Vonny
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Social Inclusion Unit, Swansea

Send message

Total Posts: 486

Just to note, it is possible for an extension to be granted for online pip2’s

Ianb
forum member

Macmillan benefits team, Citizens Advice Bristol

Send message

Total Posts: 958

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3546

I attended an online walk through of the ePIP form today and took a few notes with screenshots - in case anyone hasn’t seen the digital PIP2 and it’s useful, here they are -

[ Edited: 20 Jan 2022 at 04:14 pm by Daphne ]

File Attachments

Ianb
forum member

Macmillan benefits team, Citizens Advice Bristol

Send message

Total Posts: 958

Thanks for that, Daphne. It is very useful. Haven’t dealt with any yet but when I do this will make it easier to sound as if I know what I am talking about .

Interesting to note that claimant cannot view the complete claim after it is submitted so really important to download copy at the time.

Do these still work on the usual 4 weeks to complete timetable but with extra two weeks granted if claimant requests it - and if seeking extra time have they still got to ring up for that?

[ Edited: 20 Jan 2022 at 06:01 pm by Ianb ]
Va1der
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer with SWAMP Glasgow

Send message

Total Posts: 706

“● Digital service offered during initial telephone call - have to use link within 7 days or it expires”

What happens after 7 days? Do they get sent a new link, do they have to ask for one or get sent a paper form instead etc?

Jo_Smith
forum member

Citizens Advice Hillingdon

Send message

Total Posts: 331

Also, “DWP recommend that claimant completes form not adviser!”
Jog on…

Mike Hughes
forum member

Send message

Jo_Smith - 21 January 2022 04:29 PM

Jog on…

Their insight into who claims PIP and how never ceases to amaze.

Daphne
Administrator

Send message

Va1der - 21 January 2022 11:14 AM

“● Digital service offered during initial telephone call - have to use link within 7 days or it expires”

What happens after 7 days? Do they get sent a new link, do they have to ask for one or get sent a paper form instead etc?

My understanding was that they can request a new link - or indeed a paper form if they decide that’s better for them now

Daphne
Administrator

Send message

Ianb - 20 January 2022 05:56 PM

Thanks for that, Daphne. It is very useful. Haven’t dealt with any yet but when I do this will make it easier to sound as if I know what I am talking about .

Interesting to note that claimant cannot view the complete claim after it is submitted so really important to download copy at the time.

Do these still work on the usual 4 weeks to complete timetable but with extra two weeks granted if claimant requests it - and if seeking extra time have they still got to ring up for that?

yes time limits are still the same and I think the only way they can request it is by ringing up.

DWP said only difference on time scales is that obviously ePIP arrives instantly DWP office rather than the few days it might take to get there by post - but otherwise should be no difference.

Daphne
Administrator

Send message

Jo_Smith - 21 January 2022 04:29 PM

Jog on…

I may have said words to that effect during the presentation ;)

Paul Stockton
forum member

Epping Forest CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 291

Daphne - 24 January 2022 03:10 PM
Va1der - 21 January 2022 11:14 AM

My understanding was that they can request a new link - or indeed a paper form if they decide that’s better for them now

A colleague who has just helped a client on one of these had to phone up to get a new code. It does seem odd that a claimant has a month to complete the form but the code expires after 7 days. Wouldn’t it make more sense for the code to be valid for the same length of time as the client has to complete the form?

Is a pragmatic answer for clients to complete the first page, save it, and then come back to the rest when it suits them?

Daphne
Administrator

Send message

That’s helpful, thanks Paul. And your suggestion is a good one too :)

Andyp5 Citizens Advice Bridport & District
forum member

Citizens Advice Bridport & District

Send message

Total Posts: 1011

Extract from an email from a mate who works for a mental health charity in upcountry ‘I’m concerned that it says do not ask your GP or medical professional for additional info as they may charge you for this’

We have reservations about the need for a password and process involving text and email facilities.

Our aspirations for the online form was that it could help with clients who find it a challenge to engage i.e. an impromptu drop in turning into an application for PIP e.g. itinerant homeless clients with out a phone or an email address.

Mike Hughes
forum member

Send message

Andyp5 Citizens Advice Bridport & District - 27 January 2022 01:22 PM

Extract from an email from a mate who works for a mental health charity in upcountry ‘I’m concerned that it says do not ask your GP or medical professional for additional info as they may charge you for this’

We have reservations about the need for a password and process involving text and email facilities.

Our aspirations for the online form was that it could help with clients who find it a challenge to engage i.e. an impromptu drop in turning into an application for PIP e.g. itinerant homeless clients with out a phone or an email address.

You could argue either way on that first point. So many people delay submitting the PIP 2 awaiting GP or other evidence which talks to diagnosis, meds, treatment and prognosis but next to nothing useful about reliably performing 12 activities.

Just come out of the DWP reasonable adjustments forum. Take-up of the ePIP2 is running at 28%. No acceptance that this might be down to lack of call responder knowledge, despite some evidence of both a lack of knowledge that the process is now fully live, and, active resistance in other cases. Others present reported something I’m aware of i.e. requested paper PIP2s have suddenly started to not arrive with claimants in greater numbers than we’ve ever seen.

PIP will also be hosting the first email as a reasonable adjustment trial imminently.