to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

DLA/ESA joint Lower Tribunal ref 04 tickets

TJL
forum member

Derby advice - Derby Homes

Send message

Total Posts: 251

What does it mean if the members are required to have 04 tickets?

Thanks in advance

Toby

ROBBO
forum member

Welfare rights team - Stockport Advice

Send message

Total Posts: 334

I can’t say I know.  I’m not convinced that this is the answer.  But if you look at the AGFS document Feb 2011, there is a reference to O4 here….

http://sitesearch.justice.gov.uk.openobjects.com/kb5/justice/justice/results.page?qt=o4

Travel expenses?

Matthew Simpson
forum member

Caseworker, Eaga PLC, Newcastle

Send message

Total Posts: 44

This may have to do with the members ability to sit on a panel.  i.e he is able to sit on any panel as he has all his tickets. 

Can you give us a bit more information on the context in which the 04 tickets is used.

TJL
forum member

Derby advice - Derby Homes

Send message

Total Posts: 251

All I can say is that the tribunal concerns DLA/ESA benefit -its a Lower Tribunal,

Toby

Matthew Simpson
forum member

Caseworker, Eaga PLC, Newcastle

Send message

Total Posts: 44

I understand that it used to be the case that judges,etc used to only be able to sit on certains panels if they appointed and authorised to decide matters within a jurisdiction.  I’m sure these were referred to as ‘tickets’ a number of years ago. 

This may be what it is referring to, however it is difficult to say and i could be going off on completly the wrong tangent.

[ Edited: 6 Sep 2011 at 06:49 pm by Matthew Simpson ]
Ruth_T
forum member

Volunteer adviser - Corby Borough Welfare Rights & CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 313

Matthew is correct, and as far as I know the system is still used.

I recently had a case involving housing costs for income-related ESA which had been listed for hearing by a Judge and a doctor (guaranteed isn’t it, even though we stated on the enquiry form that it should be heard by a single-member tribunal).  The case was postponed on the day, and the clerk informed me that the Judge was “not ticketed to hear 01” cases.  Administrative appeals eg HB/CTB, overpayments, good cause for a late claim seem to be classed as 01.

Ariadne
forum member

Social policy coordinator, CAB, Basingstoke

Send message

Total Posts: 504

01 tribunals are judge alone - basic child support, HB/CTB, social security and all claims and backdating and overpayments (except DLA/AA), good cause cases etc

03 tribunals are DLA/AA - judge, doctor, disability qualified member, including all overpayments etc cases

04 tribunals are PCA/WCA - judge and doctor.

I assume 02 is industrial injuries.