to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

70 year old having to go througha PIP review

Oldestrocker
forum member

Principal - Forensic Accountants, Canterbury

Send message

Total Posts: 100

I read recently of a 70 year old who has a PIP award having migrated from DLA having to go through the review process.
It would appear that the DWP are suggesting that the evidence submitted some 5 years or so ago along with the PIP2 is lacking in detail as to how his issues are affecting him now.
The DWP are citing that he does not qualify for an automatic 10 year award due to the absence of clarity.

I thought that for this category of claimant a 10 year award with a soft touch review at the 10 year point was a given.

Terry Craven
forum member

Hope Advice Centre, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 85

Make a complaint to the DWP and the Assessment company. Recently, I had a case similar to your case. I complained on behalf of my C. PIP was awarded within 4 weeks, without an assessment. Try this, it might help.

Oldestrocker
forum member

Send message

Thank you for your input.

It really was a case of reading about this issue where the claimant was being forced to undergo a face to face assessment having completed an AR1.
It had me wondering if I had not fully understood the SOS statement at the time.
I would also mention in passing that a moderator on that particular website actually said that it was normal for that to happen!

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3537

The press release at the time said -

The changes will benefit pensioners whose personal circumstances are unlikely to change.

So I guess it’s not a given and they’re saying maybe circumstances are likely to change - could you submit evidence to show otherwise?

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

I suspect I read this on the same site as the OP. My recall is that it wasn’t a site moderator or admin. who asserted it.

However, there was other advice on that thread which struck me as rock solid and that was around the idea that the 10 year light touch doesn’t kick just because you’re of pensionable age but rather because you fall into the category of being unlikely to see a change. In order to establish the latter you are likely to have to go through an assessment at which it is specifically put at issue. So, in the instance mentioned, the assessment they had ought to have addressed that (but most likely didn’t). It’s something we need to be alerting those over pensionable age to. My reading has always been that it is not and never has been a given based on being over pensionable age.

Ianb
forum member

Macmillan benefits team, Citizens Advice Bristol

Send message

Total Posts: 958

Mike Hughes - 19 February 2020 11:05 AM

I suspect I read this on the same site as the OP. My recall is that it wasn’t a site moderator or admin. who asserted it.

If it’s the website i think it is, to the best of my knowledge there aren’t any moderators or administrators who post in it. It’s an exchange by people with an interest. This obviously means some of the advice given is wrong but it usually gets corrected.

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

It doesn’t sound like it is that one as they do in the one I’m thinking of but definitely not on this occasion.

Ianb
forum member

Macmillan benefits team, Citizens Advice Bristol

Send message

Total Posts: 958

Mike Hughes - 19 February 2020 06:57 PM

It doesn’t sound like it is that one as they do in the one I’m thinking of but definitely not on this occasion.

Obviously came up on more than one forum at about the same time!

Oldestrocker
forum member

Send message

Your view on this Mike is appreciated. On a personal level I am also involved with a couple of local charities that specifically deal with exercise, sport and wellbeing for those of above pensionable age. I have heard from various members already that the DWP are making these ‘10 year’ award decisions after reviewing the previous paperwork only. None have had an AR1 nor have they had a telephone call or their GP has not been contacted. As you say the previous assessor’s submission should have already indicated irrespective of the previous length of award that no change/only a deterioration is expected for the future.
The impression that I am getting when I have mentioned this ‘reassessment’ situation is that I am wrong as the press release at the time and the subsequent media reports suggested that all 290,000 current PIP recipient pensioners will get an automatic 10 year award when their current award finishes.
I intend to release a statement on Friday for all members stating that there are absolutely no guarantees that that will happen for everyone I feel like I am pouring cold water over their expectations.
Maybe the DWP Press Office should clarify this so as to not give expectation that the 10 year award is to be given to everyone.

[ Edited: 27 Feb 2020 at 12:34 am by Oldestrocker ]