Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other benefit issues  →  Thread

Underpayments of HB being offset against Overpayments

roecab
forum member

Welfare benefits supervisor - Roehampton CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 465

Dear All

I might be going mad, but I thought that underpayments of HB could not used to offset against an overpayment, unless it relates to the same period?

My client has a historic HB overpayment, being recovered at £11.10 - sees us in August we note that they had not added a child to the claim, they accept error put child on, no lump sum paid, this has been used to reduce the debt - the period of underpayment is around 2 years after the end of the period of overpayment.

So is it best practice that I am thinking of or is there something more concrete that I can throw at them?

Thanks in advance

HB Anorak
forum member

Benefits consultant/trainer - hbanorak.co.uk, East London

Send message

Total Posts: 2895

They can do this. See Reg 101(1) and (2). They can recover from any arrears of HB due to the claimant for any period and, by virtue of the words in brackets in para (2), recovery from arrears is not subject to the weekly limits that apply to ongoing payments:

(2) Subject to paragraphs (4) and (5), where a relevant authority makes deductions permitted by paragraph (1) from the housing benefit it is paying to a claimant (other than deductions from arrears of entitlement), the deduction in respect of a benefit week shall be— (the weekly limit of 3 x 5% of the personal allowance)

roecab
forum member

Send message

Many thanks for the information Mr Anorak

Cheers

roecab
forum member

Send message

Is an underpayment not arrears of entitlement, and so is not permitted?

Timothy Seaside
forum member

Housing services - Arun District Council

Send message

Total Posts: 539

Yes, an underpayment is arrears of entitlement. The regulation says that there is a limit to the recovery amount except from arrears of entitlement - so there is no limit to the recovery amount from an underpayment.

roecab
forum member

Send message

Thank you for the clarification

Not such good news for the client, but always good to know.

Cheers