Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

PIP and Travelling Abroad

Aparna
forum member

Support services, British Polio Fellowship

Send message

Total Posts: 4

Hi,
PIP continues to be paid for the first 13 weeks of travel abroad even if it is for holiday, but the award letters ask for DWP to be informed if the claimant is intending to be away for more than 4 weeks from U.K. (in the list of changes to be reported). Why is this so? My client has just received her award and is extremely worried that she will lose her benefit if she is away for more than 4 weeks without informing DWP as she regularly travel abroad every winter for around a month.

benefitsadviser
forum member

Sunderland West Advice Project

Send message

Total Posts: 1003

Cant find anything to back that up (regs 16-19?)

Reminds me of older DLA guidance, where one of the changes you apparently have to report was starting a job, whereas being in work has nothing to do with DLA entitlement. They dont even ask on the form if you work or not.

Unless theres a conflict, such as you get hi mob and become a footballer (Newcastle united footballers are exempt, obviously, as they are virtually unable anyway)

[ Edited: 18 Jan 2018 at 03:27 pm by benefitsadviser ]
ClairemHodgson
forum member

Solicitor, SC Law, Harrow

Send message

Total Posts: 1221

benefitsadviser - 18 January 2018 02:56 PM

(Newcastle united footballers are exempt, obviously, as they are virtually unable anyway)

now then now then .... one could say the same about mackems, or the boro .......

Sally63
forum member

Generalist Adviser, Southwark Citizens Advice Bureau

Send message

Total Posts: 177

Aparna - 18 January 2018 02:02 PM

Hi,
PIP continues to be paid for the first 13 weeks of travel abroad even if it is for holiday, but the award letters ask for DWP to be informed if the claimant is intending to be away for more than 4 weeks from U.K. (in the list of changes to be reported). Why is this so? My client has just received her award and is extremely worried that she will lose her benefit if she is away for more than 4 weeks without informing DWP as she regularly travel abroad every winter for around a month.

I had exactly this scenario—down to a distressed client.  I couldn’t find any reason for the DWP demand. I said that the client should satisfy it but it shouldn’t make any difference and if it did to come back for assistance. I asked on rightsnet if anything had changed and was told no.

Sally63
forum member

Send message

Aparna
forum member

Support services, British Polio Fellowship

Send message

Total Posts: 4

Sally63 - 18 January 2018 06:04 PM
Aparna - 18 January 2018 02:02 PM

Hi,

I had exactly this scenario—down to a distressed client.  I couldn’t find any reason for the DWP demand. I said that the client should satisfy it but it shouldn’t make any difference and if it did to come back for assistance. I asked on rightsnet if anything had changed and was told no.

Thanks Sally.

Jac
forum member

Welfare benefits adviser - Melville Housing Association, Midlothian

Send message

Total Posts: 146

Perhaps it is in case there is someone claiming Carer Allowance? If they do not accompany on the holiday it could affect them.

Sally63
forum member

Send message

thank you. I like things to make sense