to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

People with epilepsy losing benefit on transfer to PIP

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3549

Written answer in parliament yesterday shows that large numbers of people with epilepsy are either not being awarded PIP (6550) or have reduced levels of benefit (2340) as they are reassessed from DLA. Probably not a surprise due to the lack of scope for scoring points under supervision but shocking nonetheless!

http://www.parliament.uk/business/publications/written-questions-answers-statements/written-question/Commons/2017-03-13/67503

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

I seem to recall much pre PIP discussion around the fact that epilepsy cases looked likely to be big losers so I guess it sadly confirms what we already knew. There have been some exceptions but few and far between and, if ever you wanted an example of how the so-called “inconsistency” of DLA has been replaced by something wholly illogical then this is it.

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3211

Yes indeed, this exact issue came up many times on training courses, and now we’re seeing the sadly predictable results.

Peter Turville
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Oxford Community Work Agency

Send message

Total Posts: 1659

Our experience also. DM trots out the usual - ‘seizures do not happen on more than 50% of days so I cannot award points’.

But also some bizzare tribunal decisions -currently awaiting a SOR in a case where they awarded ERMC but 0 points DL!

Also seeing similar issues with conditions like autistic specrum disorders and pre-lingual deafness (contrast with, for example, significant learning disability where abolition of the day/night test can result in increased awards from mrCC to erDL).

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

Actually Peter I suspect your bizarre decision is as close as we’re getting to the norm. I’ve seen a fair few ERMCs for epilepsy.

Brian JB
forum member

Advisor - Wirral Welfare Rights Unit, Birkenhead

Send message

Total Posts: 472

I agree Mike

The new panel of judges decision on “safely” and “supervision” may well assist -

http://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/11025/

but even with that in mind, it could be difficult to score sufficient points under daily living activities.