to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Income support, JSA and tax credits  →  Thread

Late Mandatory Reconsideration - Other Options

WBrame
forum member

Money Advice, Ipswich Housing Action Group

Send message

Total Posts: 23

I have a client who was deemed to be living together with a partner even though evidence was sent in that my client was the sole occupier.

The decision that they were a couple was made on 24th July 2015 and concerned Tax Credits for 14/15 + 15/16.

My client did not know what to do and after a month she allowed the father of her children to move in (he was the person they thought she was in a relationship with anyway) as he offered to help her out with money and she was living on barely anything. He stayed with my client until February 2016 when he got a flat of his own.

Fast Forward to September 2016 and the client asks for advice - she has been living on her maternity pay and child benefit only since February 2016.

I did a new claim for Tax Credits which was awarded and also did a MR for the LTAHAW decision from 24/7/15 but this has been refused on the grounds that I am out of time and there is nothing I can do.

The relationship with the father of the children has been abusive for years and he has been very controlling of my client. In 2014 my client agreed that he could use her address as a c/o address even though he lived with his own father. Unbeknownst to my client he also has a Ltd company which he claims is based at her address (I have checked Companies House and it still shows my clients address).
I think he may have wanted to use her address as another way of controlling her as then when her benefits stopped he wormed his way in again to continue the abuse.

Anyway, that aside, is there anything else I can do to get this decision looked at again?
The client has an Overpayment of £11k outstanding.

Thanks for any help and advice.

LITRG
forum member

Low Incomes Tax Reform Group

Send message

Total Posts: 107

When the ex-partner moved in with her after the tax credits stopped in 2015, did they make a joint claim for tax credits?

Victoria

WBrame
forum member

Money Advice, Ipswich Housing Action Group

Send message

Total Posts: 23

victoriatodd - 14 March 2017 06:43 PM

When the ex-partner moved in with her after the tax credits stopped in 2015, did they make a joint claim for tax credits?

Victoria

No claim for Tax Credits made - the client believes he has a very good income from his Ltd company so I am not sure they would have qualified.

When he moved back in he paid all the bills - rent, council tax, utilities, food etc for 5 of them and had no problems doing that so that seems to indicate quite a good income.