to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

ESA appeal rate - unsigned Med-3

JPCHC
forum member

Cardinal Hume Centre - Welfare Rights

Send message

Total Posts: 186

I’ve just had a disabled client come in to the centre with a taxi and leave unsigned med certs for me at reception. In your experience, will the benefit centre pay anyway? He’s not had any payments since May so I’m reluctant to delay further whilst waiting for him to come back in again

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

Are they stamped with the address of the practice?

JPCHC
forum member

Send message

Yes they’re signed by the GP; he just hasn’t signed the declaration himself.  Presume it should be ok? It’s just normally a battle to get our local JCP to scan them without a signature. Thanks in advance

Mike Hughes
forum member

Send message

JPCHC
forum member

Send message

Thanks Mike. I’ll probably do a home visit then rather than risking it then.  Cheers

Mike Hughes
forum member

Send message

I’ve had related personal experience of this in the past couple of years. GP, who inevitably knows zilch about my eye conditions, listed one of them as the cause of an absence from work; completely failed to comprehend the condition and went on what she thought she heard. Essentially wrote down a made up word. Not a peep from my employer. A year later the same GP got the name right (after I dictated it) but failed to sign the declaration. Employer on my case immediately.

Given the recent thread we had re: overpaid prescriptions or similar I can’t see why DWP wouldn’t object given that employers and the NHS certainly do.

Mr Finch
forum member

Benefits adviser - Isle of Wight CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 509

A jobcentre staff member once told me that anyone can sign a MED3 on the claimant’s behalf, but I have no other authority for this.

oldhamcabwn
forum member

Welfare benefits caseworker - Oldham CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 16

JPCHC - 02 December 2016 11:32 AM

I’ve just had a disabled client come in to the centre with a taxi and leave unsigned med certs for me at reception. In your experience, will the benefit centre pay anyway? He’s not had any payments since May so I’m reluctant to delay further whilst waiting for him to come back in again

They accept them here in Oldham provided GP has signed or its surgery stamped, i have encountered the very same issue numerous times and had no problems.

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

The customer statement is not part of the prescribed form so it shouldn’t be a problem. I have had issues with people lacking capacity but they’re usually resolved when I explain this.

JPCHC
forum member

Send message

Thanks all.  In the end I just signed the med cert and added “signed by rep” and the claim been was paid.  May just have been lucky!