Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other benefit issues  →  Thread

is there a way to confirm if EEA national never claimed benefits in the UK??

Sue123
forum member

EEA Family Support, Children's Centre Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 135

Hi
I wanted to ask.
I have a client and they are visiting family in the UK from the Czech Republic.
She said that she needs a confirmation from social security that she never claimed benefits in the UK, she will need to prove this in the Czech Republic so they continue paying her benefits there.
does anyone know if there is a way to get this confirmation?
I have never done this before but there must be a way to confirm if someone claimed benefits in the UK or not.

thank you!

forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

Wouldn’t the Czech authorities accept bank statements to confirm nothing has been paid to her?

I just can’t see anyone at the DWP being prepared to ‘put it in writing’....

Sue123
forum member

Send message

Apparently they need to see an official letter from DWP. I didn’t think they would do that either but Czech social security office wants this.
The lady doesn’t have a bank statement. She is visiting a family but not sure why she applied for NINO.

forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

Does sound a bit odd doesn’t it? Why apply for a NINO if you’re just making a temporary family visit? Can’t help thinking there’s more going on. Does she not have a bank account? How are her Czech benefits paid to her?

Well- I suppose the starting point is for her to approach her local JC and ask them if they can provide her with a letter confirming no benefits are in payment. I just don’t think they’ll leap to help.  Does she have anything in writing from the Czech authorities requesting the info? If so (and she can get the letter translated) it may make things a bit easier.

Jon (CANY)
forum member

Welfare benefits - Craven CAB, North Yorkshire

Send message

Total Posts: 1362

She could ask for a full copy of her record:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/dwp-request-for-personal-information

Though I thought EU country’s social security departments could request this sort of info from each other directly?

NAI
forum member

Unclaimed Benefits Campaign, Middlesbrough CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 131

Jon (CHDCA) - 02 December 2016 09:59 AM

Though I thought EU country’s social security departments could request this sort of info from each other directly?

This looks like a good route to me because presumably the DWP would have to reply that they have no information, thereby confirming that she receives no benefits.

Sue123
forum member

Send message

Hi
Social security system in Czech Republic can request it but she says it will mean they will stop her benefit for up to 6 months until they get a confirmation from DWP.
The lady’s mother said she did manage to get the confirmation for herself before so will bring it to show me next Thursday.
I might have to wait and see!
I also find it odd she’s applied for NINO.
Not sure if she has a bank account. Will ask her next week.
Thank you for advice

Sue123
forum member

Send message

NAI - 02 December 2016 12:44 PM
Jon (CHDCA) - 02 December 2016 09:59 AM

This looks like a good route to me because presumably the DWP would have to reply that they have no information, thereby confirming that she receives no benefits.

I think this takes up to 40 days.  She wants to leave UK soon I think. Thanks tho

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3128

Zuzana - 02 December 2016 10:19 PM

I think this takes up to 40 days.  She wants to leave UK soon I think. Thanks tho

She doesn’t need to be in the UK to request the information - she could just ask for it to be sent to her back home.

Sue123
forum member

Send message

Elliot Kent - 03 December 2016 11:57 AM
Zuzana - 02 December 2016 10:19 PM

She doesn’t need to be in the UK to request the information - she could just ask for it to be sent to her back home.

OK thank you.