Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Income support, JSA and tax credits  →  Thread

Concentrix/HMRC cock-ups - anyone tried to resolve via CCJ/money judgement?

past caring
forum member

Welfare Rights Adviser - Southwark Law Centre, Peckham

Send message

Total Posts: 1123

Client’s CTC ceased in August (3 x kids, one on CP plan) - phone call from HMRC stated this was because of ‘info received’ by Concentrix - client married to and living with her brother.

Info requested from client which she sent to Concentrix - is now told the case is back with HMRC for determination (and has been since the end of August).

No decision notices issued in relation to any of the above - there is a 14/11/2016 final notice for 6/4/2015 (which I take to be for the 2015 - 2016 tax year) creating an overpayment of £6k plus which we be sticking an MR in for (presumably because she was shacked up with bruv’ then too)....but nothing to revise the decision awarding CTC for this year.

That being so, it is still of legal effect and client is owed money by HMRC to my way of thinking. Anyone tied CCJ/small claims - or at least a letter before action - as a way of putting the skids under them?

forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

Letter before action has to be worth a try. In tandem with MP intervention perhaps?

LITRG
forum member

Low Incomes Tax Reform Group

Send message

Total Posts: 107

I would suggest an MP intervention as we have been assured all Concentrix cases have been sorted out.

I’m also happy to raise this via the consultation group with HMRC if that would help - my email is .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

There should be an appealable section 14 decision for the current year but we have already flagged a number of cases to HMRC where s.14 decisions appear not to have been made and instead they have just stopped payments for the current year without a decision. If the claimant has renewed, this is a breach of the Tax Credits Act.

Victoria

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3211

Guardian has story on Concentrix and HMRC today MPs damn US firm over ‘cut first, think later’ approach to tax credit claimants

Note it references this “An HMRC spokesperson said it would pay compensation to claimants where appropriate.”

So MP and/or LBA for now to get things rolling and compensation payment claim for distress caused once resolved perhaps?

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

If ever there was organisation I believed incapable of delivering compensation…

NAI
forum member

Unclaimed Benefits Campaign, Middlesbrough CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 131

What about compensation for all the Welf time and resources?