to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Income support, JSA and tax credits  →  Thread

Work Focussed Interviews

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

Now I’ve read 1052 and 1053 of this year’s CPAG but the requirement for partners to take part in WFIs seems silly so I’m doubting myself and I thought I’d check…

Client separates from partner, claims ESA, into Support Group, reconciles with partner who reinstates her as partner on IS claim as he’s a CA recipient. Duly a WFI arrives for client.

So she’s exempt from them under the ESA regime but not IS. That seems odd.

Discuss…

generalistadviser29
forum member

Birmingham Citizens Advice Bureau

Send message

Total Posts: 24

Any ideas about this? I don’t understand how they could get away with that.

SGre
forum member

Advice and Information. CarersUK. London

Send message

Total Posts: 3

We advise:

When the main claimant has been continuously entitled to Income Support or ESA for at least 26 weeks or more you, as their partner, will have to attend one WFI.  (Just one and no WRA)

However, you do not have to attend any WFI’s as the partner of the main claimant if:
•You have a child under the age of one; or
•If you are under 18 or over the qualifying age for state pension credit (see above for definition); or
•If you receive a “specified” benefit in your own right. The “specified” benefits are Income Support, income based Jobseekers Allowance (but not a couple claim), Employment and Support Allowance, Incapacity Benefit, Severe Disablement Allowance and Carer’s Allowance. If you receive a “specified” benefit in your own right, you may have your own work focused requirements to comply with.