to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

Which partner should claim HB?

geep
forum member

WRO, housing management, Notting Hill Housing

Send message

Total Posts: 181

My client and her partner have not needed HB until recently because the husband earned too much. However, he is ill at the moment and can’t work, so they’re going to claim ESA and HB. The wife intends to start working soon as she previously wasn’t.

Does it matter which one of them makes the HB claim? I know their income and capital is assessed together, so that won’t change regardless of who claims, but in the past I’m sure I’ve read about some situations where certain disability premiums are only included in the applicable amount if the person with the disability is the HB claimant.

I don’t think he will be on ESA for a long time, but I want the ‘right’ partner to make the HB claim now just in case it does end up being long-term and maybe even a PIP claim is needed.

Thanks

stevemac
forum member

Horsham CAB, West Sussex

Send message

Total Posts: 117

Hi geep

If your client is awarded any IRESA then this will passport them to max HB so will not matter who claims this. However if a pass porting benefit not in payment then who claims may be an issue . So say if PIP is payable to your client at same time he is getting assessment rate CBESA, his   partner may then be best advised to claim HB as the applicable amount assessment through her would include a couple rate DP but would not if he claimed

On the other hand if he ends up in the SG for ESA purposes (and not getting PIP DLC at e/r) then he may be better claiming HB as the SG comp and the EDP are worth more than the couple rate DP