Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

ESA Mandatory Reconsideration Period, Claim JSA or UC?

Shazz
forum member

Welfare Reform Team Northwards Housing Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 32

I’m dealing with a client who is failed his ESA medical and we put in a mand recon. In order to get him some money during this period I understand he should claim JSA with restrictions (as he is not well enough to work) pending the outcome of his mand recon. He has been told (as based in Manchester) that he has to claim Universal Credit. I’m just wondering if the restrictions would be the same? Also as UC is paid in arrears once it comes through his mand recon is most likely to have been looked at again? Would he still be able to get a benefit advance? It’s all very confusing. Any thoughts or suggestions are most welcome. Thanks.

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3548

I think in Manchester you are still gateway service - not full digital - in which case your client will not meet the gateway conditions if they have lodged an MR - so they should claim JSA. (You might need to check that he ticks the box to say he is challenging ESA decision to make sure he is directed towards JSA not UC). However, if you are full digital service it would be UC

Shazz
forum member

Welfare Reform Team Northwards Housing Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 32

Many thanks Daphne