to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Benefits for older people  →  Thread

mixed age couple, older one going into care home

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

Think I should know the answers to this but can’t seem to get my head round it.

Man 76, wife 60, joint claim for Guaranteed Pension Credit. He is going into care home permanently.

-What happens to wife’s Pension Credit when he goes into care home?
-Currently exempt from Bedroom Tax due to his age, does this exemption end if he is no longer living at home?

Thank you.

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3211

From our factsheet Paying for permanent residential care (section 8.1)

If you are a member of a couple and one of you moves permanently into a care home, each of you are treated as single people for Pension Credit.

On the bedroom tax, yes, I think you’re correct that unless any exemptions apply, the wife may have bedroom tax applied now unfortunately.

annief
forum member

Benefits adviser - Maggie's Centre, Edinburgh

Send message

Total Posts: 107

They would be treated as single people when he goes permanently into a care home.

Would she still be entitled to PC though Paul, as she is not of qulaifying age for PC?

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Send message

annief - 09 May 2016 03:23 PM

They would be treated as single people when he goes permanently into a care home.

Would she still be entitled to PC though Paul, as she is not of qulaifying age for PC?

Yes, you’re absolutely right of course, now that pension credit age is creeping ever upwards, she won’t even be entitled to that Annie, thanks for spotting.

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

Send message

Thanks, I can’t find anything that is going to help her here (other than DHP). I’m also assuming that she won’t qualify for the Pensioner Premium either if she moves from PC to ESA as her husband is no longer deemed to be her partner when he goes into the care home. All a bit harsh.

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Send message

No, I think you’re correct Billy, she’s going to experience quite a drop in household income. She’s also not going to be able to qualify for State Pension and/or PC until she’s 66 years by my calculations (dob 1956?).

The rules for temporary admission to a care home would have offered some limited protection perhaps but if her husband is going in as a permanent resident, then effectively, she’s treated as if she doesn’t have a partner now.

So no pensioner premium with any MTB’s, no PC for 6 years, but with bedroom tax and DHP application to try to cover all look the likely outcome. I’ve racked my brains and can’t think of anything to offer up, sorry.

forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

PIP? Overnight carer reasonably needed? Long shot I know.

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Total Posts: 2002

Even though they’re now two single claims there is still some linkage.  For example, an assessment of the resident’s Pension Credit and care charging could be affected by him sharing any pension with his wife.  That could increase his PC or reduce his charges but at the cost of reducing her benefit.  You may need to look at them together.

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Send message

No mention of an occupational/private pension in o/p.

If there were an occ/private pension in payment and he gives her 50%, his contribution to care home fees should be reduced accordingly, but her entitlement to MTB’s would reduce by similar amount. Can;t see that helps necessarily.

I did consider disability benefit position but unless he’s self-funder (which seems unlikely as on PC-GC and HB), then any DLA/PIP/AA will be withdrawn so no possibility of residual CA claim for her. I’m assuming 1964 is talking about PIP claim for her - if so, why not, but nothing to indicate this is necessarily feasible in Billy’s post?

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

Send message

1964 - 10 May 2016 03:17 PM

PIP? Overnight carer reasonably needed? Long shot I know.

Yeh, it’s a possibility. She currently receives DLA mobility only so it’s a bit of a risky business applying for PIP as she may lose her DLA as well but it’s something she is considering.

No occupational/private pension, just his SRP topped up with joint claim GPC.

He is getting AA but she had not claimed CA so missed out on additional amount. I have advised her to make backdated claim for CA up to when he went into the care home (today), I presume that this is possible even though she would not be able to get it going forward.

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Total Posts: 2002

Is he going straight in permanently or is it a temporary or trial basis initially?

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

Send message

Funnily enough Gareth I have just received an email about this a few minutes ago. Initially I was told it was going to be a permanent move. Now it seems it will be a 42 days “and he will then be reassessed”, which sounds to me like a trial period.

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Send message

If it’s a temporary admission, the rules are quite different.

You might want to have a look at this factsheet Billy, especially section 4 Paying for temporary care in a care home

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

Send message

Thanks Paul.

My understanding is that she should get to keep half the PC and not be subject to Bedroom Tax for the first 42 days at least.

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Send message

Billy Durrant - 12 May 2016 05:54 PM

Thanks Paul.

My understanding is that she should get to keep half the PC and not be subject to Bedroom Tax for the first 42 days at least.

Spot on mate.

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Send message

In fact, if she does claim CA, then she’d also be entitled to carer’s premium I think, so more cash in her pocket and less contribution to his fees for temporary period at least.