Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

Does the prime minister know something we don’t?

davidsmith
forum member

Welfare Rights, Brighton Unemployed Centre Families Project

Send message

Total Posts: 19

It’s twice now during PMQ’s that the PM has said ESA support group is not time limited

Including yesterday when he said the support group is not means tested and not time limited

I for one know not of anybody who’s recieved a non time limited award of ESA!

forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

Oh it does irritate me so. It’s bad enough when you read articles about benefits in the media- even when it’s the ‘sensible’ media it’s never accurate- but when it’s IDS or the PM it’s flipping well inexcusable to my mind. I suppose he’s thinking of CB ESA continuing after a year where SGC is payable but since when has accuracy mattered to this lot?

Surrey Adviser
forum member

Benefits and debt adviser - Esher CAB, Surrey

Send message

Total Posts: 222

Not just this lot -every lot!  T’was ever thus.

Personally I don’t blame the politicians so much - they spout so much guff & are (unreasonably in my opinion) expected to be able to answer any old question accurately without a moment to think about it.  What is wrong is partly the unrealistic level of expectation promoted by the way interviewers go about their jobs; partly carelessness/incompetence etc. of the officials who are supposed to know (or check) the facts which they feed to the politicians for any prepared statement; and partly the politicians themselves for being afraid to say quite simply that they don’t know the answer to a question.  Some openness and honesty would be very refreshing.  (I remember some while ago Michael Gove going to the Commons and making a statement saying quite simply that he’d got something wrong.  I can’t recall what it was - but the fact that he did it was something more politicians would do well to copy.)

forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

Derek - 25 February 2016 08:22 PM

True, but coming from this lot it really does stick in my throat. Adding insult to injury.

John Birks
forum member

Welfare Rights and Debt Advice - Stockport Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1064

davidsmith - 25 February 2016 12:19 PM

It’s twice now during PMQ’s that the PM has said ESA support group is not time limited

Including yesterday when he said the support group is not means tested and not time limited

I for one know not of anybody who’s recieved a non time limited award of ESA!

I’m confused by this.

Are you referring to the reapplication of a WCA?

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

Derek - 25 February 2016 08:22 PM

Personally I don’t blame the politicians so much - they spout so much guff & are (unreasonably in my opinion) expected to be able to answer any old question accurately without a moment to think about it.  What is wrong is partly the unrealistic level of expectation promoted by the way interviewers go about their jobs; partly carelessness/incompetence etc. of the officials who are supposed to know (or check) the facts which they feed to the politicians for any prepared statement; and partly the politicians themselves for being afraid to say quite simply that they don’t know the answer to a question.  Some openness and honesty would be very refreshing.  (I remember some while ago Michael Gove going to the Commons and making a statement saying quite simply that he’d got something wrong.  I can’t recall what it was - but the fact that he did it was something more politicians would do well to copy.)

Personally I don’t want to live in a world where there is even a possibility of Michael Gove being a role model!

davidsmith
forum member

Welfare Rights, Brighton Unemployed Centre Families Project

Send message

Total Posts: 19

Yes, off the top of my head, it’s 3 months to 3 years, but no longer than 3 years before another WCA takes place ...