Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

DWP requesting info on what skills a work coach should have and feedback on customer experience

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3546

As part of its policy to ‘support claimants with a disability or health condition towards work’ the DWP intends that all work coaches will be trained to give personalised support to claimants with disabilities or health conditions. At operational stakeholders we were asked to give feedback on the following questions -

- What range of skills / knowledge should a Work Coach to have?

- What is the most important skill of a Work Coach?

- What should Work Coaches always do (good practice), or never do (things to avoid)?

- What L&D should Work Coaches undertake, can external stakeholders help?

- What local health and disability information should Work Coaches have access to?

We have been asked to feedback in the next couple of weeks. If people have views please direct message me and I will collate and send them in.

Additionally if you would like to be involved in giving evidence to the ESA Customer Experience Group (what works, what doesn’t from the claimant point of view), if you give me your email details I will pass them on.

Benny Fitzpatrick
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer, Southway Housing Trust, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 627

Seems strange that DWP didn’t consider these questions when the post of Work-Coach was created. Also appalling that they are only considering them now-several years into ESA.

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3211

I agree Benny. It’s also quite appalling that the request implicitly acknowledges that Work Coaches are not properly trained to do this currently (despite reassurances to the contrary) and that therefore disabled people claiming benefits are not being provided with the stated levels of service or support. Further, why didn’t DWP carry across the training and resources that DEA’s used to be provided with?

Peter Turville
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Oxford Community Work Agency

Send message

Total Posts: 1659

Work Coaches will have significant responsibility / discretion / power to make ‘decisions’ about what conditionality is appropriate for a particular claimant. Something arguably they will not be appropriately trained to decide when they are dealing with a much wide range of claimants than under JSA including those with significant health conditions / disabilities etc. Channel everthing through the lowest common denominator!

Suggest this is confirmed by the attached response from IDS.

File Attachments

Den DANES
forum member

DIAL Lowestoft and Waveney

Send message

Total Posts: 110

What is the deadline to get comments to you for your feedback?

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3546

The sooner the better - the meeting was last week and they said ideally within two weeks. Though I don’t think we should hold back on sending stuff after that. I’m sending the first response that I’ve had back today but will send another trawl next week.