Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

Telephone wait times

‹ First  < 2 3 4 5 6 > 

Mick Quinn
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Northumberland County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 161

Rang PIP existing claims…..eventually got through options and spoke to someone only for their line to go dead after one word….
Rang again, same options (no welsh please) eventually got through the options (again)and spoke to someone only for their line to go dead a second time before anyone could speak….
Nothing if not Tenacious D. so rang third time, same options, eventually got through (same) options (again)and spoke to someone (Sun broke through Halleluiah Chorus in the background) any problems with your system I enquired….’none at all, it must be your end!’
Well that explains that then….I’m off have a good one!!

Mr Finch
forum member

Benefits adviser - Isle of Wight CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 509

Held 12 minutes to ESA and was then dropped. Now 15 minutes and waiting, client has left so will probably get nowhere…

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

12 minues of Vivaldi starts the week really well.

Honest!

Charlie.RNIB
forum member

RNIB Legal Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 30

Generally in the morning I have to wait up to 5 minutes - but often much quicker - getting through to 0345 608 8545. Mid to late afternoons though it’s noticeably longer. Not sure why their service should be winding down at 4pm?  I’ve virtually given up on calls to the TCO - waits of over 30 min are the norm.

I haven’t noted if anyone has mentioned the irritating recent addition to telephonist’s script about using their services at .Gov.uk? If I could access my client’s case records and miraculously sort out their benefit problems by accessing a (poor) public information website I would!

Dave Coughlan
forum member

Benefits adviser - Springfield Psychiatric Hospital, London

Send message

Total Posts: 12

Phoned DWP this morning and had a wonderful experience, having to explain to a lovely lady (she may have been automated, can’t seem to tell the difference), why I was calling. Tried a few phrases without success, ended up saying ‘missed payment’. The real person I spoke to explained this is supposed to help them but they answer the phone without looking at the screen.

forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

Grrrrr- it’s awful isn’t it?

Rang earlier to chase up on a JSA anytime revision request. It wouldn’t recognize ‘revision’ at all (and came up with ‘food bank referral’ as the reason for my call) and then cut me off altogether….

Ali D
forum member

NHAS housing/debt caseworker - Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 28

Had my own little Xmas miracle this week. I sent a brief letter with a form of authority signed by client to Belfast Benefit Centre. Received a call back the next day from a member of ESA team who provided a direct number. rang back and she answered the phone immediately. she provided an email address to submit a scanned copy of the ESA85 and within 48 hours the claim was reinstated and backdated and the payment put into client’s account. she also gave me the direct number for SMI section who were equally helpful.

Somewhat nonplussed. 😊

Dan_Manville
forum member

Send message

1964 - 15 December 2015 01:34 PM

Rang earlier to chase up on a JSA anytime revision request. It wouldn’t recognize ‘revision’ at all (and came up with ‘food bank referral’ as the reason for my call) and then cut me off altogether….

It recognises “reconsideration” at least, not as well though when there are lots of social workers buzzing away in the background…

Dan_Manville
forum member

Send message

Well they may not have removed Vivaldi but the mystery voice asking what I want seems to have disappeared.

Has DWP offered us an olive branch I wonder? Has a rabble of welfs stormed Quarry House? Or is it just broke?

edit. It must’ve been broke

sob

[ Edited: 17 Dec 2015 at 03:49 pm by Dan_Manville ]
Ruth_T
forum member

Volunteer adviser - Corby Borough Welfare Rights & CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 313

I happened to catch yesterday’s radio drama “A speck of dust” which gave a pretty good illustration of the frustration experienced by our clients with automated telephone systems. Nothing new to advisers, but worth listening to on iPlayer at http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06s1rmd    Start listening at 10 min 55 sec.

Pete C
forum member

Pete at CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 556

Dan Manville - 17 December 2015 03:00 PM

Well they may not have removed Vivaldi but the mystery voice asking what I want seems to have disappeared.

Has DWP offered us an olive branch I wonder? Has a rabble of welfs stormed Quarry House? Or is it just broke?

edit. It must’ve been broke

sob

I like the idea that the collective noun for a group of welfs is a ‘rabble’

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3135

1964 - 15 December 2015 01:34 PM

Sorry Barry, Idon’t understand weccomend a westawant.  See the Big Bang Theory.

forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

LOL!!

‘Open the cargo bay doors Hal…’

Martin Williams
forum member

Welfare rights advisor - CPAG, London

Send message

Total Posts: 769

Just waited in excess 20 minutes from 11:10am to get through to the IS/JSA/ESA line- previously I have expected that kind of wait if ringing from 4pm onwards. To experience it in the morning is a bit worrying.

Lord Freud’s 3 minute target is in danger of being a factor ten error at this stage- perhaps he left out the “0” and it should be 30 minutes.

Martin.

Dan_Manville
forum member

Send message

Minimum 20 minute wait has been run of the mill for the last few months; since easter at least.