to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

Couple with joint ESA-I claim

Jac
forum member

Welfare benefits adviser - Melville Housing Association, Midlothian

Send message

Total Posts: 146

I have a young couple both with health problems. Neither has entitlement to ESA-C. A ESA claim was made yesterday for income related. During the claim the question is asked whether partner is unable to work - answered this as Yes and gave details.

WIll DWP pick up on this as I want the partner to still claim and be assessed for ESA to get NI credit contributions and also safeguard for any future changes and claims in his own right e.g if he has to claim as single person or if she is found fit for work? Or will they need to claim ESA -C?

Should have asked on the phone but it took around an hour to do the claim and the DWP was not varying from their script at all.

unhindered by talent
forum member

Welfare Rights Team, Aberdeenshire Council

Send message

Total Posts: 447

I think you will have to ask for a credits-only claim for whichever is the partner. How you go about this, i’m not sure - perhaps download an ESA1 form and submit with sicknote for the partner, stating on the front that it’s a credits-only claim and explaining in the ‘More Information’ section that he/she is currently on a joint claim but wishes to claim contribution credits.