to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

SSP and students

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

Full time student doing a degree course, was also working 20+ hours p/w as a bar manager and earning in excess of LEL. He recently become ill but has not been paid any SSP. Is there any reason that also being a student would stop him getting SSP?

I can’t see anything in CPAG but there is a reference on gov.uk to students in receipt of PIP/DLA being able to get SSP which makes me wonder if those who aren’t can’t?

John Birks
forum member

Welfare Rights and Debt Advice - Stockport Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1064

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

Send message

Thanks John

I’ve looked through that but can’t see any reference to students there either- am I missing something?

KateSL
forum member

Ripon CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 8

Billy,
If he is legally an employee and not a casual employee then he will be treated as such and if the students satisfies all the other criteria required for SSP i cannot see why they would be not be entitled.
Student Support Handbook 2013/2014 pg293 states “your entitlement to benefits depends on your age, how long you have been ill, whether you have paid any national insurance”.
I suggest he requests it from his employer and if refused appeal to HMRC,
Hope that has been helpful

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

Send message

Thanks Kate.
Having looked into this further I think that the student bit is actually red herring, I was reading something into the gov.uk page beyond what it was saying. I think that the problem may actually lie with his zero hours contract and whether or not he is considered to be an employee.

John Birks
forum member

Welfare Rights and Debt Advice - Stockport Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1064

I can’t see him being a self employed bar manager.

The zero hours contract won’t affect him as long as the prior 8 weeks are above the rqd amount.

He should get an SSP1 by right - mind you having worked behind many bars many many years ago - it was frequent that the NINO would be a digit/letter out or that pay was deducted at BR because ‘they’ hadn’t sorted things out.