to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

ESA to be cut?

Paul_Treloar_CPAG
forum member

Advice and Rights Team, Child Poverty Action Group

Send message

Total Posts: 550

Just come across BBC News story that claims that “plans to scrap part of the UK’s main sickness benefit are being considered, a leaked Whitehall paper suggests.

It describes the Employment and Support Allowance as a “passive” benefit which does not “incentivise” people to find a job, and proposes abolishing the work-related activity group (WRAG) category.”

Have to say, in the wider scheme of things, I’m not completely surprised at this news but it does strike me as peculiar that, if this is true, there seems to be no consideration or comment as to why the government would then continue to shovel half a billion pounds to Maximus over three years to continue “assessing” claimants.

If you missed it, the paper from the “think tank” Reform who are mentioned was published a couple of weeks back and can be found here How to run a country: Working age welfare (pdf file)

JRyan
forum member

Welfare Benefits, ParagonCHG, Surrey

Send message

Total Posts: 63

It says removing the £30 top-up for WRAG claimants would give people less reason to worry that they were getting the “wrong” outcome from their assessment

can anyone explain this nugget to me?

Paul_Treloar_CPAG
forum member

Send message

JHogg - 02 July 2015 10:49 AM

It says removing the £30 top-up for WRAG claimants would give people less reason to worry that they were getting the “wrong” outcome from their assessment

I think it comes from the same brainerd who decided that you make work pay for low income families by cutting tax credits and solving poverty by abolishing income measures…...

Benny Fitzpatrick
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer, Southway Housing Trust, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 627

On a similar vein, I don’t understand how changing the name of the Work Capability Assessment to the Employment Capability Assessment will “incentivise” anyone.

Paul_Treloar_CPAG
forum member

Send message

Benny Fitzpatrick - 02 July 2015 11:00 AM

On a similar vein, I don’t understand how changing the name of the Work Capability Assessment to the Employment Capability Assessment will “incentivise” anyone.

Yes indeed, I wasn’t previously aware of the widely differing connotations between the terms “work” and “employment” previously…..

Peter Turville
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Oxford Community Work Agency

Send message

Total Posts: 1659

Paul_Treloar_CPAG - 02 July 2015 10:50 AM
JHogg - 02 July 2015 10:49 AM

I think it comes from the same brainerd who decided that you make work pay for low income families by cutting tax credits and solving poverty by abolishing income measures…...

And flows from Lord Freud’s assertion that 2/3 of ESA claimants are actually capable of work (and on the assumption that a ‘new’ ECA will correctly identify a persons employment capabilities (employability in the real world?) and that there will be quality and tailored support available from JCP and providers by fully and appropriately trained staff?)?

John Birks
forum member

Welfare Rights and Debt Advice - Stockport Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1064

This sort of meddling via nomenclature is pointless except for sound bites and spin.

I can imagine the test reflecting a modern office - can you squeeze the stapler? Seal the envelope? Deduct £7.34 from £10.00? (mind you there’s people in work who can’t do that without the electronic till.)

The Think-Tank doc ends on:

The Government must avoid making short-term cuts that will erode the wellbeing of those on very low incomes and instead focus on the drivers of demand. As such, the Government should prioritise moving people into and keeping them in work. It should also focus on addressing the structural drivers of the three biggest benefit budgets: Tax Credits, Housing Benefit and sickness and disability benefits.

We’ve ended a phase of change from IB to ESAII and the results are IMO less accurate than they were in the 1990’s.

Accuracy is important as if the system is seen as unfair by the public then they lose faith and won’t support that system. Anyone who’s lost their benefit on swapping from IB to ESA or failing to get into the SG when they ‘know’ someone down the street etc. Likewise with PIP/DLA/AA.

Of course that inaccuracy may be welcomed as it’s a change enabler.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3144172/Holy-handouts-Jobless-superhero-fan-dressed-Batman-abseil-skyscraper-claims-disability-benefits.html

The problem is the one-off assessment carried out either in the early quarter of a claim or as an annual event or so. The person carrying out the test is ‘god’ whose word is all.

Another issue is the push/pull of so many different opinions - you should be on this, or that, or this group or that group

Surely the ‘brains’ could work out that a longer assessment comprising of different elements would produce a more accurate picture of the subject?

There are Occupational Therapists, Work Psychologists (DWP employs the most in UK), Disability assessors working for the local authority and medical staff at hospitals and the GP all currently in employment.

Personally I would have thought a report from each of those depts would be less than that 0.5Billion GBP?

Ruth A Rees
forum member

MONEY ADVICE TEAM, COMMUNITY HOUSING CYMRU GROUP CARDIFF

Send message

Total Posts: 30

I am trying to get statistics together to enable our Chief Officer to make a statement about the changes that will be announced in the budget.  I am struggling to find how many ESA claimants are in the Work Related Activity Group and how many of those are in Wales.  Can anyone help me by pointing me in the right direction, please?  I have the total number of claimants but need the breakdown.

Thanks

[ Edited: 2 Jul 2015 at 12:31 pm by Ruth A Rees ]
John Birks
forum member

Send message

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

John Birks - 02 July 2015 11:21 AM

This sort of meddling via nomenclature is pointless except for sound bites and spin.

I can imagine the test reflecting a modern office - can you squeeze the stapler? Seal the envelope? Deduct £7.34 from £10.00? (mind you there’s people in work who can’t do that without the electronic till.)

Applying any such tests to welfare rights advisers has always produced worrying results!

Thinking of the old “ability to take a message” for starters.

Slightly more seriously, this has been coming. Terrifying consequences for many clients who struggle mentally and financially during the assessment period but keep going confident they will qualify for at least an increase once ESA is finalised. Under this there isn’t even that to look forward to.

Ruth A Rees
forum member

MONEY ADVICE TEAM, COMMUNITY HOUSING CYMRU GROUP CARDIFF

Send message

Total Posts: 30

John Birks - 02 July 2015 12:33 PM

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/esa-outcomes-of-work-capability-assessments-claims-made-to-sep-2014-and-appeals-to-mar-2015

Table 11 I think may help

Thank you.  I’m impressed by how quickly you replied.  That table appears to contain the numbers assessed between Oct 2010 and March 2014, which is of some use, but what I really need is the figure of claimants currently (or as near as possible) receiving WRAG component.  Any other stats you know of?

John Birks
forum member

Send message

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics?keywords=ESA&topics;[]=all&departments;[]=department-for-work-pensions&from;_date=&to;_date=

Hopefully there is something in that lot for you.

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3546

This one gives Wales - http://tabulation-tool.dwp.gov.uk/100pc/esa/ccgor/esa_phase/a_carate_r_ccgor_c_esa_phase_nov14.html

[ Edited: 2 Jul 2015 at 04:01 pm by Daphne ]
Paul_Treloar_CPAG
forum member

Send message

Reading the rationale for current proposals (pr leaks), I was struck by a weird sense of deja vu…..then I remembered why:

However, fundamental issues remain:

• Little is done to prevent people moving onto incapacity benefits.
• The gateway to benefits is poorly managed – with claimants receiving incapacity benefits before satisfying the main medical test.
• Benefits trap people into a lifetime of dependency – the longer a person remains on benefits, the less chance they have of leaving.
• There are perverse benefits incentives – paying more the longer people claim.
• Almost nothing is expected of claimants – and little support is offered. Those who try to plan their return to work through volunteering and training feel that they run the risk of proving themselves capable of work and therefore losing their entitlement.
• The very name of incapacity benefits sends a signal that a person is incapable and that there is nothing that can be done to help get them back into the labour market.

WELFARE REFORM BILL 2006 – REGULATORY IMPACT ASSESSMENT that ultimately led to the introduction of ESA in 2008.

Plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose….

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Total Posts: 2000

Benny Fitzpatrick - 02 July 2015 11:00 AM

Perhaps it will incentivise those people who might otherwise have been considering self-employment. Clearly people with disabilities are expected to be preparing themselves for a life of exploitative drudgery.