Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

Assessment Phase length - can anyone beat this?

PCLC
forum member

Benefits Supervisor - Plumstead Law Centre, London

Send message

Total Posts: 240

Saw a client regarding a DLA appeal. Asked if he was in receipt of ESA and he said yes, at the “basic rate” - for 2 years. Checked with ESA and yes, they had referred him in June 2013 for a WCA but no response. When I said how could that be the person I spoke to said that’s why the government have decided to use someone else!

EJ
forum member

Benefits advice line - Coventry City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 111

No contest - one (very nomadic) client, who expresses no interest in pursuing his assessment, seems to have been in the assessment phase since 16/04/2010!!  He gets his PIP and his wife is on CA. Now exempted from the Benefit Cap.  Happy Days for him. And one in the eye for IDS who is blissfully unaware that such claimants are still out there “languishing”!!
PS. He’s not persuaded that there’s any point in rushing for an extra component…

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

According to DWP stats there were 30 thousand (after rounding up) claims more than 2 years old and still in the assessment phase. 135 thousand between 6 and 12 months old 77 thousand more than a year old.

All numbers as of November last year.

[ Edited: 21 May 2015 at 11:58 am by Dan_Manville ]
Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

Dan Manville - 21 May 2015 11:47 AM

According to DWP stats there were 30 thousand (after rounding up) claims more than 2 years old and still in the assessment phase. 135 thousand between 6 and 12 months old 77 thousand more than a year old.

All numbers as of November last year.

It kind of sums all of this up that during the “assessment phase” the one thing you can absolutely guarantee won’t happen… is an assessment!

Perhaps better titled “Period in which nothing at all happens”?

I shall leave to others the potential alternatives and their accompanying acronyms :)

geep
forum member

WRO, housing management, Notting Hill Housing

Send message

Total Posts: 181

I have a client who has been on the assessment rate since 2010. A tribunal hearing took place but the DWP say they never received a judgment from the tribunal, so they have continued paying at the AR. The tribunal don’t keep hard copies of judgments for that long so they have told us to advise the DWP to make a written request for a SCREEN SHOT of the judgment from the tribunal’s computer system. You have to smile at these things sometimes :)

forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

I’ve had several clients in similar positions though both had lost their appeals. It was a real dilemma as to whether to rock the boat or not. It’d be even more of a dilemma now with the 6 month revolving door provision being defunct.