to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

Contributory ESA Question

Kate S
forum member

Staying Put services, Shepherds Bush Housing Group

Send message

Total Posts: 7

I have a client who was transferred from Incapacity benefit to contributory ESA. He is now in the support group. He asked me about the rate of his benefits as his friend is in receipt of the enhanced disability premium on his ESA, but when he rang and I rang ESA, he was told he was not entitled. Now , I believe that he may need to ask for income related ESA as a top up? Using an ESA 3 form.

Also he is attending ATOS assessment next month. if he gets enhanced rate of PIP, he will also qualify for a severe disability premium. therefore he will have 2 premiums?

I was advised this by someone I know in the welfare benefits sector, but I wanted to check also to make sure!

JoW
forum member

Financial inclusion manager - Wythenshawe Community Housing

Send message

Total Posts: 343

Yep you are absolutely correct. This comes up a lot - people moved from IB to ESA Support Group but not told to claim income related ESA top up. See link to previous discussions: http://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/5928/  and here: http://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/7843/

Yes to the SDP as well as EDP (assuming he meets other conditions for SDP - lives alone, no-one claims Carer’s Allow etc.

Jon (CANY)
forum member

Welfare benefits - Craven CAB, North Yorkshire

Send message

Total Posts: 1362

Kate S - 26 March 2015 09:32 AM

Also he is attending ATOS assessment next month. if he gets enhanced rate of PIP, he will also qualify for a severe disability premium.

It doesn’t need to be enhanced. Either rate of the Daily Living component will do for the severe disability premium (along with the other criteria: count as living alone, no one in receipt of CA, etc).

Of course, for the income-related ESA top-up, there could be various ways that his circs differ from his friend, and he might not in fact qualify on the means-test.