to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Benefits for older people  →  Thread

Pension Credit and non dependants

Jane W
forum member

Community Officer, Age UK South Lakeland

Send message

Total Posts: 18

Am I right in thinking that there is no such thing as a non dependant deduction for Pension Credit? Son lives with his Mum and Dad and has learning difficulties , on DLA and ESA. They will be entitled to Pension Credit once their savings have decreased a bit. They are living using their savings at present alongside their state pension etc. They are both claiming AA and will claim the U/E to Carers Allowance , but will be unable to claim the two Severe Disability premiums due to their son’s presence in the household. Am I on the right track here?

Brian JB
forum member

Advisor - Wirral Welfare Rights Unit, Birkenhead

Send message

Total Posts: 472

There would only be a non dependant deduction for housing costs, and that wouldn’t apply here because parents get AA.

If son gets MRCC or HRCC, and both parents AA, they can all have SDP - i.e. double SDP in parents’ PC claim, and SDP in son’s ESA claim (providing no other adults in household)

Jane W
forum member

Send message

And if the son does not get MRC or HRC DLA or ESA? Can the parents still have their SDP’s with the PC? And can he still be disregarded for housing costs?

Brian JB
forum member

Advisor - Wirral Welfare Rights Unit, Birkenhead

Send message

Total Posts: 472

No one will get SDP but there will be no non dependant deductions from housing costs

Jane W
forum member

Send message

Thank you very much indeed for your help. I think we have got our heads around it now.