to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

New PIP Assessment Guide - spilling food, and commodes

Emma B-G
forum member

Welfare benefits adviser - Hertfordshire County Council Money Advice Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 53

The PIP Assessment Guide for health professionals has been updated, with new guidance about the interpretation of the descriptors:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/368122/pip-assessment-guide.pdf

A couple of points leapt out at me:

- Activity 2, taking nutrition (page 99)

The guidance now specifices that “Spilling food can be considered, regular spillage requiring a change of clothes after meals is not an acceptable standard of taking nutrition.”

My view is that if someone is prone to spilling food or drink on themselves, supervision or prompting probably won’t prevent this; therefore the most relevant descriptor seems to be descriptor F, “cannot convey food and drink to their mouth and needs another person to do so”, which scores 10 points, enough to qualify for standard rate from that activity alone.

- Activity 5, Managing toilet needs or incontinence (page 105):

The guidance says “Descriptor A [0 points] may be appropriate for claimants who use a commode due to limited mobility (to the toilet) but can manage their toilet needs or incontinence. If the urinary tract is normal there will be little risk of incontinence no matter how long it takes to mobilise to the toilet. If there is, for example, a bladder problem and the claimant will be incontinent before they reach the toilet, then the commode is being used as aid for the bladder condition (toilet needs) not the mobility problem (mobility needs). Urinary tract conditions that cause urgency of micturition will be relevant, other urinary tract conditions may not be relevant.”

I had previously believed that if a claimant relied on a commode because they could not reliably go up or down stairs to reach a toilet they would be likely to score under descriptor B (needing an aid), but this suggests otherwise. The new guidance seems to suggest that if the claimant has no ‘bladder problem’ but their toilet is upstairs and they cannot get upstairs, they won’t score anything.

Do others agree with this interpretation? Has anyone noticed anything else interesting in the new guidance?

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

With regard to taking nutrition…

I’m not sure prevention is required. The person merely needs to be able to perform to an acceptable standard, so, I would first of all think that F is relevant rather than B or D as prompting, assistance and supervision are for the latter two.

B ii would not be relevant to spillage as the reduction of spillage to an acceptable level as described could be difficult if not impossible to achieve via supervision.

B iii references assistance to cut up food. That might assist in reducing spillage but I’m guessing that if your spillage is to the extent you might need to change clothes then cutting food up is not really the issue. It’s the transportation of that food which is the issue.

F on the other hand goes for “cannot convey”. To my mind a person who cannot convey to an acceptable standard, reliably, repeatedly etc. “cannot” and that’s the end of that.

I have to say I was mesmerised by some of the ideas they have around communication. Clueless.

Jane OP
forum member

The National Autistic Society, Welfare Rights, Nottingham

Send message

Total Posts: 161

Does anyone know what edition of the assessment guide this replaced? I’ve got a saved version that says updated 22 Jan 2013 but I’m not sure if that was the most recent version?

Thanks
Jane

Jane OP
forum member

The National Autistic Society, Welfare Rights, Nottingham

Send message

Total Posts: 161

Looks like it was last updated in May 2014, anyone got a copy of that previous version or know where I can get one online?

I thought I had it saved somewhere!

Thanks

Ken Butler
forum member

Disability Rights UK

Send message

Total Posts: 229

I’ve requested that the DWP’s PIP Team publish an explanation of the changes to the PIP Assessors guide for this and future editions.

This is being considered.

In the meantime they replied that in the latest edition, the guidance has been “clarified” in -

• in part 3.4 about daily living activities 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8 and 9; and
• part 3.5 about mobility activity 11.

Jon (CANY)
forum member

Welfare benefits - Craven CAB, North Yorkshire

Send message

Total Posts: 1362

If you go to https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-assessment-guide-for-assessment-providers
and click on ‘full page history’ at the bottom left, it shows:

31 October 2014 9:00am
Clarified the guidance in part 3.4 about daily living activities 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8 and 9 and part 3.5 about mobility activity 11.

27 May 2014 9:30am
Updated assessment guide: 2.2 clarification of definition of ‘vulnerable claimant’s; 2.5 revised ‘paper-based reviews’ processing guidance; 2.10 clarification of claimants with additional support needs which relates to a defined range of health conditions; 3.3 further guidance on ‘reliability’; 3.4 updates about ‘administration of medication’; 3.5 further guidance for planning and following journeys; 4.5 and 5.4 updates about the audit criteria.

4 July 2013 11:53am
Updated the to correct a few small errors in the previous version and to clarify where some of the text was unclear. New guidance at paragraphs 2.4.21a-2.4.21b and 2.13.22-2.13.23. Additional notes have been added to assist in the interpretation of activities 3 and 11 and there have been some changes to the quality audit criteria.

8 April 2013 1:00am
First published.

not sure where Jane OP’s Jan 2013 guide came from?

Ken Butler
forum member

Disability Rights UK

Send message

Total Posts: 229

Hi,

I’ve now been sent by the DWP a breakdown table of the changes from the old version of the PIP assessment guidance to the new version.

Please see the attachment.

File Attachments

stevejohnsontrainer
forum member

@theflipchart ltd

Send message

Total Posts: 126

Hi Ken

Many thanks for providing the official summary of changes to the PIP Assessment Guide. Further to comments already made, i think that it is interesting that the DWP seems to backing off from the much loved ‘typical day’ approach, albeit only in terms of the official guidance (although not quite - the phrase persists at para 2.6.21 - which may simply be an editing omission). It was always slightly strange to apply typical day to PIP, what with its one year required period.

DL Activity 1 - pre-cooked vegetables - looks like a need to use those now suggests an assistance need, rather than an aid/appliance level need - more points possibilities?

DL Activity 7 - clarifies that illiteracy etc will not drive points - must be medical condition

Mobility Activity 1 - Note there is now a more extended attempt to clarify what ‘overwhelming psychological distress’ means - might be useful.

I have a copy of the May PIP Assessment Guide, in case anyone wants it. Thinking about giving an embossed version of the October PIP Assessment Guide as a Christmas present to the special one - what do you think?

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

stevejohnsontrainer - 26 November 2014 09:47 AM

Thinking about giving an embossed version of the October PIP Assessment Guide as a Christmas present to the special one - what do you think?

Christmas sounds great at your house, can I come? I’ll bring my handwritten engraved fountain pen copy of the latest UC Commencement Order for you to admire over the post-dinner Cognac…

stevejohnsontrainer
forum member

@theflipchart ltd

Send message

Total Posts: 126

Now we are rocking…