to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

HB, JSA Sanctions, and Giving Up Work

geep
forum member

WRO, housing management, Notting Hill Housing

Send message

Total Posts: 181

If someone gives up a job voluntarily without good reason, I assume their JSA would be sanctioned, but would they be able to claim HB?

Thanks

Paul_Treloar_CPAG
forum member

Advice and Rights Team, Child Poverty Action Group

Send message

Total Posts: 550

Yes basically.

geep
forum member

Send message

Just found out that the person in question would probably have to claim UC as they’re in a roll-out area. Would they have more problems claiming housing costs through UC if they gave up work? I can’t remember if the roll-out areas are still avoiding anyone with housing costs, but it would still be good to know for future reference…

Edmund Shepherd
forum member

Tenancy Income, Royal Borough of Greenwich, London

Send message

Total Posts: 508

CPAG p.1117. The standard allowance is sanctioned, which is the amount for living costs. A sanction does not appear to apply to the elements. If you are claiming as a couple, the reduction is 50% of the SA.

I understand that initially UC areas are not allowing people with housing costs claim the benefit. However, you can of course go from basic UC to UC with housing costs if you become liable for housing costs while claiming UC.

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3546

As I understand it people with rental housing costs can claim UC but you can’t if you are an owner occupier or in tenmporary or supported housing (reg 10 UC(transional provision) regs).

So geep your client would claim UC and the basic allowance would be sanctioned (equivalent to 72.40 per week if they are over 25) as edmund says but the housing costs to help with rent would still be paid.

Just for info if it were on the old system your client would claim JSA which would then be sanctioned. However, provided he was meeting his jobseeking requirements entitlement remains - just payability is stopped. Therefore if it is income-based JSA your client is claiming then passporting to HB should still happen (though HB depts have a tendency to suspend payment which they shouldn’t unless JSA has been suspended as well as sanctioned which would happen if the claimant wasn’t jobseeking). If it is contributory JSA then your client can still claim HB but will have to demonstrate his income - probably nil income in which case he will need to explain how he is supporting himself - foodbanks, handouts from family/friends etc.

geep
forum member

Send message

Many thanks, all, exactly what I was looking for.