to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Income support, JSA and tax credits  →  Thread

Income Support puzzle

chacha
forum member

Benefits dept - Hertsmere Borough Council

Send message

Total Posts: 472

This is more of a puzzlement to me than a question, and forgive me if it’s obvious, but apart from HB my knowledge with other benefits is pretty basic so here’s the thing that’s puzzling me.

Got an EEA gentleman claiming HB, has been in the UK since 1994 (I’m guessing has leave to remain have not asked because it makes no difference to HB entitlement), has been on HB since Jan 2013 (Based on JSAIB) and then based on continuous employment since Nov 2013.

He took ill in August this year and could no longer work, I’m currently unsure of how serious it is, and applied for I/S on 30/09/14.

This has been awarded from Aug 2014, when he took ill, a small amount as they are deducting the SSP he receives from his employer from I/S entitlement so it’s enough for full HB.

My question is why is he entitled to I/S when he does not satisfy any of the normal conditions, well as far as I know, his kid is 7, he is not a carer nor is he disabled. His partner is also an EEA but is currently not in work, she has been here as long as he is.

Any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks.

Paul_Treloar_CPAG
forum member

Advice and Rights Team, Child Poverty Action Group

Send message

Total Posts: 550

p.27 WBH 2014/15 you are entitled to IS if you are entitled to SSP (Sch.1B para 7(d) IS Regs 1987)

chacha
forum member

Benefits dept - Hertsmere Borough Council

Send message

Total Posts: 472

Thanks Paul, never ceases to amaze me what you can learn, I must have seen a gazillion of the same before but not one of them ever made a claim for I/S.