to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

ESA & Caring

Ruth A Rees
forum member

MONEY ADVICE TEAM, COMMUNITY HOUSING CYMRU GROUP CARDIFF

Send message

Total Posts: 30

A client has been told that if he has caring responsibilities, he should be in the Support Group.  I cannot find this information anywhere, certainly not among the passporting reasons.  Wondering if this may exist or have existed under Incapacity Benefit rules?  Incidentally, the client hasn’t applied for CA because of the cared for person’s benefits being reduced if he did so.  He says he has been registered as a carer by the Social Services dept.

Help!

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

CAring responsibilites won’t get him into the Support Group. If he were in receipt of Carers Allowance he would be exempt from Work Related Activity though.

Ruth A Rees
forum member

MONEY ADVICE TEAM, COMMUNITY HOUSING CYMRU GROUP CARDIFF

Send message

Total Posts: 30

Thank you.  I didn’t think he could get into the Support group, but you know that doubt when you know you know something, but the other person is so convincing that the information they have gleaned from elsewhere is correct?  I was afraid it might be something fromthe dim and distant past with IC.

benefitsadviser
forum member

Sunderland West Advice Project

Send message

Total Posts: 1003

I get many clients on ESA who can claim CA but refuse to, as they are adamant the department will say “if you are well enough to care for someone then you are well enough to work” (which as we all know is twaddle)

I explain to clients on CA + ESA (WRAG) that although attending a WFI is mandatory they do not have to do any actual work related activity if they choose not to.

Perhaps people are mixing things up : as no work related activity is enforceable do they think that somehow they are now in the support group?

I have heard the phrase “im in that group where i dont have to do any work” many times but i dont automatically assume SG status as ive had a few Wraggers who claim carers allowance

(Wraggers may well be in next years OED)