Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

Deed Poll

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

Hi all

Does anyone know how long it takes to get your name changed by deed poll?

Trust me this is an ESA enquiry; I can’t say too much without broaching confidentiality mind.

Cheers

Claire Hodgson
forum member

PI Team, BHP Law, Durham

Send message

Total Posts: 165

DManville - 16 September 2014 10:44 AM

Hi all

Does anyone know how long it takes to get your name changed by deed poll?

Trust me this is an ESA enquiry; I can’t say too much without broaching confidentiality mind.

Cheers

as long as it takes to
EITHER
get a precedent off the internet, fill it in, and get appointment at solicitors to get it declared (there is a fee)
OR
get a solicitor to draft it and get it declared (another fee)

The fee is unavoidable.

They can be done quite quickly, though….

Pete C
forum member

Pete at CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 556

Do you actually need to get a change by deed poll to get the DWP to change the name on a claim- I seem to remember doing this by the claimant simply writing to the DWP and everyone else to say that they now wished to be known as whatever the new name is.

I once had a client who , for mental health reasons, insisted she was an (entirely ficticious) Baroness and DWP simply sent her letters out headed ‘Baroness .....’ without the need for a deed poll.

Edmund Shepherd
forum member

Tenancy Income, Royal Borough of Greenwich, London

Send message

Total Posts: 508

From memory, there’s nothing in law saying you can’t be known as you want to be known. Of course, deed poll certificates make it clearer.

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

Edmund Shepherd - 16 September 2014 01:20 PM

From memory, there’s nothing in law saying you can’t be known as you want to be known. Of course, deed poll certificates make it clearer.

Unless it’s “Baroness” or “General”, I bet “Lord Justice” is on the norty list too.

All well and good changing your name; if it’s for appropriate reasons rather than shall we say unhealthy, deluded ones, however when you spontaneously start making benefit claims under a different name and an invented NINO it throws up all kinda problems… trust me on that ;)

edit… thanks all

Pete C
forum member

Pete at CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 556

I think you can use any title you like provided that it is not used for purposes of fraud or similar.

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3135

Pete C - 16 September 2014 03:58 PM

I think you can use any title you like provided that it is not used for purposes of fraud or similar.

Agreed.  Some useful info’ here.  You can call yourself almost anything you want but some deed poll services will not help you assume a title (such as Lord or Baronet) you do not actually possess.

http://www.thelegaldeedpollservice.org.uk/21/faqs

Jon (CANY)
forum member

Welfare benefits - Craven CAB, North Yorkshire

Send message

Total Posts: 1362

DManville - 16 September 2014 03:55 PM

Unless it’s “Baroness” or “General”, I bet “Lord Justice” is on the norty list too.

Well it seems that changing your name by deed poll to Lord Charles Leslie Falconer of Thoronton, “in order to lampoon the then Solicitor General”, is perfectly ok…

http://www.infotextmanuscripts.org/vexatiouslitigant/vex_lit_at_gen_oneill_appeal_c.html

Tom H
forum member

Newcastle Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 783

DManville - 16 September 2014 03:55 PM

..when you spontaneously start making benefit claims under a different name and an invented NINO it throws up all kinda problems..

In my final year at Uni at the start of the nineties in the days when students were liable for some Community Charge, I was astonished to find Reginald Maudling, former Conservative Chancellor of the Exchequer from years back, living in a bedsit just down the corridor from me.  Age had not withered him.  In fact, if anything it had radicalised him.  Anti almost everything.  One morning, when passing I saw through his slightly ajar door that his room had been completed cleared, just the bare floorboards remaining.  Security reasons obviously, though seems he was anti-rent too.  I was even more impressed to discover years later that he’d actually died in 1979.  Thought I saw his ghost clubbing in Chester a few years later as well.

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3135

That’s an extremely amusing story.  I actually remember the real Reginald Maudling when he was Home Secretary in the early 1970’s.