Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

Housing costs waiting periods

MLloyd
forum member

Leonard Cheshire Disability

Send message

Total Posts: 8

Hallo all,
I have a client who is currently on CB-ESA, but should be eligible for IB-ESA when her housing costs are added to her applicable amount after the 13 week waiting period.
However, Cpag says

‘Help with your housing costs can be included straight away (without a waiting period) if:

•you can be treated as entitled to IS, JSA or ESA for sufficient weeks during the period before your claim’

The client was on SSP for approximately a year and then claimed ESA within the 12 week period after this finished, so would this count as being able to be treated as entitled to ESA?

If this doesn’t count, then after the 13 week waiting period, does she need to reapply for IB-ESA, or should the DWP automatically change the claim and pay up?

Cheers,
Meg

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3537

You can only get SSP for 28 weeks so think it may have been something else?

In any event being on SSP does not count as ‘treated as’ being on ESA - see cpag pg 456 for what does.

There will be no need to make a new claim as she is already on esa but she will need to ask to be assessed for income-related and possible fill in an esa3 form (info about income and savings) if she hasn’t given the required information on her original claim.

MLloyd
forum member

Send message

You’re right, sorry, it was SSP and also contractual sick pay, which got me briefly confused.

Thanks for the page reference, but unfortunately I’ve only got access to the online version. Is there any way you could let me know which chapter it comes under?

And I’ll make sure to advise my client to chase up the DWP after 13 weeks, she says she’s already given them the information on her original claim, but we’ll make sure.

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3537

sorry - didn’t think about you using online - chapter 20 part 6

MLloyd
forum member

Send message

I was thinking of trying to persuade my boss to shell out for a paper copy but as we’re a home-based team she’d have to buy loads rather than just getting the license for online, boo. Cheers!